Chasing COVID Screening & Discussion
Chasing COVID Screening & Discussion presented by the Center for Creativity and University Library System, and a part of The Pittsburgh Lens series.
Opening remarks provided by Provost Ann Cudd and Senior Vice Chancellor and Dean Dr. Anantha Shekhar.
Dr. Peter Salk, Professor of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology at the Graduate School of Public Health and son of Dr. Jonas Salk, will join us as a special guest to commemorate the 66th anniversary of the Salk polio vaccine being declared "safe and effective."
View the Chasing COVID trailer here.
During the past year, we’ve pinned our hopes on a vaccine against COVID-19 as the key to returning to ‘normal.’ We remember the anxiety we felt, the uncertainty. But what was this year like for the creative scientific teams who threw themselves into vaccine research? How has this challenge been different from when the University of Pittsburgh developed the world's first polio vaccine? What new lessons have we learned and what still needs to be done to eradicate this devastating disease?
CHASING COVID takes us inside the lab of Pitt's Center for Vaccine Research, where Dr. Paul Duprex, Director and Jonas Salk Professor, and his team work to defeat COVID-19 — and where they continue to work on options to protect us from the virus's emerging variants.
After the world premiere of this short film, stay with us for a panel discussion, featuring Dr. Duprex, who will discuss how vaccines go from the lab to the public; questions about vaccine hesitancy, equity, and distribution; and why it is so critical to help good information about vaccines “go viral.”
- Kornelia Tancheva, PhD (moderator), Hillman University Librarian and Director of the University Library System
- Paul Duprex, PhD, Director, Center for Vaccine Research and Jonas Salk Chair for Vaccine Research
- Dr. Anita McElroy, Principal Investigator, Center for Vaccine Research and Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
- Dr. Sylvia Owusu-Ansah, Associate Vice Chair of Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion and Assistant Professor of Pediatrics & Emergency Medicine; EMS Medical Director, UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
- Carl Kurlander, Director of Chasing COVID
Registration is required. This event has limited capacity. Registration does not guarantee attendance.
However, all registrants will receive a link to the recording of the program afterwards.